Thursday, September 25, 2008

we just got in the car and...

Last February, we were heading down the highway in our minivan. We had just left the hospital from yet another appointment for Mia. Elise was in her first tri-mester with Hadley, looking pukegreen and staring lifelessly out the windshield. The girls were locked and loaded into the backseat and both were quite vocal about the fact that the transaction happened without one single cheerio.

It also happened to be Elise's birthday.

I turned to her in the passenger seat as I drove and began to gently rub her neck . "Happy Birthday, my love." I said weakly.

"Urgh," she groaned.

"What did we do for your birthday last year, again?" I asked.

She paused for a long time and then replied, "You took me to P.F. Chang's..." Her voice trailed off.

She then added with a staccato flair, "We. Just. Got. In. The. Car. And. Went."

No comments: